The applicant has the discretion of selecting to provide a video of all the skills required and outlined on our video, only when visiting a training/testing site to perform the skills is prohibitive because of the distance involved. The skills test is a pass/fail exam where the applicant needs to achieve a grade of 80% on all skill sequences in order to receive a passing grade. If submitting a video, any edited sections or breaks in the sequence of required skills will be considered an error and will count against the applicant. If you elect to provide a video do not edit any of the shot sequences. An observed session with a director is the preferred method of taking the skills test.
If you elect to visit a testing center you must contact the Director of the center (see list of testing centers on website) and schedule a date/time to take the skills test. Do not just show up at a center requesting to take the skills test. It is up to the directors of each training/testing center to develop a schedule that is convenient for them based on their own schedules and the number of people requesting to take the skills exam. Please coordinate this directly with the testing center. If you have any problems or run into any difficulties please contact email@example.com.
The testing center will be paid 50% of the exam fee for each person taking the exam. Payment will come directly from the Association after the director reports the results of the exam for each person that participated. Please provide name, contact information, and results to the Association as well as your recommendation on what shots need additional work or problem areas. Send a copy to the applicant as well so that they are aware of what they need to work on if they did not pass.
Applicants will be allowed to retake the exam but must wait one week as they hone their skills. They need to schedule a day/time with the Director of the training/testing center and pay an additional fee albeit approximately 50% of the original for each time they retake the exam. Prior to leaving the facility the applicant should be aware of what skills they need to work on and specifically what they are doing wrong so that they can make the correction prior to rescheduling. The association is here to assist every applicant through the testing process.
The director and or the certified coaches of the center can elect to hit balls to the testing group, use a ball machine where appropriate or have two like skilled applicants hit to each other to facilitate the skills test. The director should determine the easiest and most efficient manner to feed the balls to the applicants. Do not substitute saving time in taking the exam for the most efficient and supporting manner of taking the skills exam for the applicant. You do not need to be an advanced player to pass this test but you do need to be consistent with all the shots the association has determined are necessary to demonstrate to be an effective instructor.
The objectives of the skills test are:
- Demonstrate proficiency in beginner/intermediate strokes
- Stroke quality
- Consistent ability to hit different shots to the same location on the court
- Proper form and technique
- An understanding of the components of each stroke
Prior to taking the skill exam- Review video to see a demonstration of each sequence of shots to be tested, read the teaching tips at the beginning of each sequence to emphasize proper stroke development.
- 8 out of 10 down the line forehand dinks
- 8 out of 10 cross court forehand dinks
- 8 out of 10 down the line back hand dinks
- 8 out of 10 cross court back hand dinks
- 8 out of 10 windshield wiper dinks (travel across the NVZ line performing dinks)
- 8 out of 10 forehand down the line drop shots in the kitchen
- 8 out of 10 forehand cross court drop shots in the kitchen
- 8 out of 10 backhand down the line drop shots in the kitchen
- 8 out of 10 backhand cross court drop shots in the kitchen
- 8 out of 10 forehand down the line volley
- 8 out of 10 forehand cross court volley
- 8 out of 10 backhand down the line volley
- 8 out of 10 backhand cross court volley
- 8 out of 10 forehand down the line ground stroke
- 8 out of 10 forehand cross court ground stroke
- 8 out of 10 backhand down the line ground stroke
- 8 out of 10 backhand cross court ground stroke
- 8 out of 10 return of serve deuce court
- 8 out of 10 return of serve ad court
- 8 out of 10 serves deuce court
- 8 out of 10 serves ad court
- 8 out of 10 overheads
- 8 out of 10 offensive lobs forehand and backhand from NVZ line
Upon completion of the skills test applicant will be notified via email if submitting a video or will have a conference with the director of the training/testing site to confirm whether the applicant has passed the exam and if not why. It is the responsibility of the Director of the testing center to email the association the results of all skills tests and an explanation of why an applicant may have failed. The association must have a record of the results of all applicant tests.